Sydney Animal Hospital's approach to pet care in senior dogs
We recommend six-monthly check-ups
Age-related conditions can be managed successfully with early diagnosis. A year in your senior pet’s life is five years in the life of a senior citizen, so we schedule six-monthly wellness checks to give your senior pet the best possible care.
Our aim is to identify any existing conditions and establish a baseline for your pet’s health, acting as a reference point for any future changes:
- body condition score and weight check
- heart and general cardiovascular check-up
- musculoskeletal/arthritis check
- dental health check
- ophthalmology assessment
- examination of skin and ears
- assessment of lymph nodes
- assessment of lumps and bumps
- assessment of core body temperature
- blood and urine screen (complete blood count, biochemistry including kidney and liver indicators, thyroid levels and urinalysis)
- blood pressure check
- day stay (if required).
Tailored treatment plan for your senior dog
We also provide a personalised plan to ensure you’re in the best position to help your pet maintain optimum health.
We address any problems identified and consult with you on:
- a lifestyle plan tailored to your senior pet
- dental staging and recommended treatment
- dietary recommendations
- a schedule for any further tests or treatment.
Veterinarians at Sydney Animal Hospitals love dogs. We know how much your dog means to you, and we’re happy to develop a lifestyle plan that ensures your pet remains healthy and pain-free.
Contact a Sydney Animal Hospitals near you for more information on Senior pet Wellness Plans for your pet.